Thursday, July 15, 2010

What I have learned from action research and how I might use it

Action research seems to be a more practical paradigm in conducting educational research. I am able to compare this approach with another research class that I previously took, and it seems interesting to me that although not so long ago (2007), the class focused more on an interpretive/qualitative approach. I am glad to experience this unconventional paradigm of research (action research). It seems to be more applicable and focuses on student success at all times. I believe Nancy Fitchman Dana’s text Leading with Passion and Knowledge allows administrators in training to better understand why we should not only inquire about what we are doing but participate, learn, collaborate and most importantly, reflect on our findings.

It seems that most of us have been inquirers in our practice; however, action research allows us to implement it in a systematic way. As a counselor and administrative intern, I plan to see how our principal feels about action research and how she applies it. I also plan to utilize it for my own professional growth as a counselor by continuously finding ways to better serve my students, parents and teachers. One of the areas of study for me this upcoming year will be on bullying (specifically relational aggression or also known as girl bullying). As a campus we know that certain grade levels are being challenged by this, my goal is to create school wide interventions to diffuse this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment